Environmental Photobiology: Natural and Artificial Biomimetic Photosynthesis • Light & Energy • Climate Change
Main activities of IUPB
- Sponsors the International Congress on Photobiology (ICP) every 4-5 years, bringing together leading research scientists in basic photobiological sciences and photomedicine.
- Selects awards presentations at the International Congress on Photobiology (ICP) by the Finsen lecturerFinsen Lecturers are promising photoscientists who have achieved breakthroughs or similar accomplishments in the photosciences. and Edna Roe lecturerEdna Roe Lecturers are promising photoscientists who have achieved breakthroughs or similar accomplishments in the photosciences. Traditionally, most Edna Roe Lecturers have been women..
- Selects and awards the Finsen Medal in PhotobiologyFinsen Medals are awarded to distinguished photobiologists for their outstanding contributions to the photosciences. These medals recognize scientists who have worked in the photosciences for a considerable number of years. presented at the International Congress on Photobiology (ICP).
- Undertakes projects to advance photobiology research worldwide, including in developing countries.
- Provides useful information and links on this website to serve the photobiology community.
2019 IUPB Awards
During the IUPB executive board interim meeting held on July 12th, the members of the Executive Board selected the 2019 IUPB awardees as follows:
The Finsen medalists:
- Henry Lim, USA, for his contributions in Photomedicine (Photodermatology)
- Janet Bornman, Australia, for her contributions in Environmental Photobiology
- Silvia Braslavsky, Germany, for her contributions in Sensory Photobiology
Edna Roe Lecturer:
Lesley Rhodes, UK, for her contributions in Photomedicine (Photodermatology)
Scott Byrne, Australia, for his contributions in Photomedicine (Photoimmunology)
The awards will be presented and each of the awardees will deliver a lecture at the IUPB-ESP World Congress on Light and Life (Joint 17th International Congress on Photobiology & 18th Congress of the European Society for Photobiology)) to be held in Barcelona, Spain, on August 25-30, 2019.